What is the
Theatre Network NSW?
What We Do
Theatre Network NSW is the peak agency for theatre in NSW.
Theatre Network NSW (TNN) enables a strong and diverse ecology of theatre professionals in NSW, creating and sustaining the networks and activities that ensure vibrant creative collaboration throughout the state, and at all levels of the sector.
Our purpose is to lead, strengthen and support the professional theatre industry. We do this by building capacity in the small-to-medium and independent sector and by connecting and working closely with stakeholders including the major performing arts companies, industry peers and strategic partners.
"Communities and networks are vital to theatre practitioners. They facilitate access to sources of validation, material resources, professional development and the dissemination of information and artists’ work. They provide support for people pursuing a profession that, for many, often has little status within the wider community. The creation of Theatre Network NSW is essential in giving the sector an empowered voice.” (Kim Hanna, Theatre Network for NSW Scoping Report: 2011)
In Kim Hanna’s 2011 sector report Scope for Theatre NSW, an overwhelming 91.6% of survey participants said that the establishment of an NSW theatre networking body was critically important. Theatre Network NSW (TNN) was created in 2015, in direct response to this stated need.
Since then, TNN has served as a robust peak body, supporting and advocating for the diverse needs of NSW’s theatre sector.
For those of you working in theatre in NSW, TNN knows how hard it can be to sustain a life and career. TNN is here to support you and to advocate for you, and we are guided by four strategic priorities.
- By facilitating strong local relationships, connections and collaborations across NSW that strengthen the sector.
- Through TNN’s annual program of events, activities, and services that increase connection and capacity in our sector.
TNN LEADS & ADVOCATES
- By leading and undertaking positive advocacy that positions and strengthens NSW and advocates within the national agenda through its relationship with Theatre Network Australia and other national peak agencies.
TNN RESEARCHES & DEVELOPS
- By identifying gaps and opportunities in the theatre sector and facilitating solutions from the sector.
- By building and sharing a body of knowledge and resources within our sector in order to build capacity and promote the value of the NSW theatre sector.
- By ensuring the mechanisms for raising sector issues are in place and that these issues are addressed and produce quality outcomes.
TNN PROVIDES INDUSTRY-LED, INDEPENDENT SUPPORT
- By operating as an industry-led agency working with the sector to find consensus and a common voice across theatre in NSW.
- By providing stable, responsible governance and management that can leverage support and resources for its sector.